JOB FAMILY SUMMARY: Develop and build scalable, reliable, and secure cloud infrastructure. Automate software deployment processes and maintain related tools. Improve customer experience by monitoring application performance, releasing incremental updates and proactively correcting operational issues. Work closely with application development teams to continuously evolve developer experience.
JOB SUMMARY: The Platform Engineer III is responsible for the design, implementation, and operation of cloud infrastructure to support scalable and maintainable software platforms. The engineer improves communication and collaboration to enable rapid product development by serving as liaison between development and operations teams. Job responsibilities include cloud infrastructure architecture and design, deploying infrastructure via code, assisting developers with troubleshooting cloud-based workloads, and building tools to improve developer velocity.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree, technical certification or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of industry experience with frequent, incremental code, testing and deployment.
- 3-5 years of industry experience managing distributed systems in a virtualized or public cloud environment.
- Advanced understanding of cloud infrastructure services (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Advanced understanding of container orchestration tools (Kubernetes, Docker Swarm).
- Advanced understanding of infrastructure-as-code concepts and tools (Terraform, Pulumi, CloudFormation).
- Advanced understanding of continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) practices.
- Familiar with Agile methodology.
- Ability to function with ambiguity to solve complex problems.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads complex projects that require multiple areas of expertise.
- Contributes to strategic planning meetings and provides guidance and expertise on system options, risk, cost vs. benefits, and impacts on departmental processes and goals.
- Reviews technical design specifications developed by junior levels and creates technical design specifications.
- Provide feedback to junior employees by participating in code reviews.
- Admits mistakes and attempts to achieve the best outcome in the situation.
- Assists in maintenance and troubleshooting of operating environments.
- Builds automated deployments using infrastructure-as-code technology.
- Sets up and maintains test environments for both manual and automated testing.
- Deploys new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment.
- Ensures the adherence to standards, policies, and procedures.
- Uses best practices to improve services for customers.
- Encourages the open exchange of ideas.
- Customizes and adapts communication and discussion to appeal to the specific interest, need and level of our customers.
- Participate in On-call responsibilities as needed, sometimes serving as an escalation point for junior staff.
- All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
- This role regularly utilizes a computer, including the use of a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION/AUTHORITY: Duties are performed under limited supervision. Often responsible for planning and organizing their own work, which may or may not be directly related to general business operations of the company or its customers. Will receive training and guidance from manager as needed. Individual contributors may be required to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance depending on the nature of the position. No direct management responsibility.